ReSources Serves Vail – a 2018 Snapshot
If you are a reader who is not familiar with Greater Vail Community Resources nonprofit corporation—“ReSources” for short—you should know that it is a grassroots approach to providing direct services to Vail’s needy citizens. Incorporated in May of 2016, ReSources distributes emergency food, clothing and other types of assistance to individuals and families within Vail’s school district boundaries. Getting Resources Vail Food Bank up and running in January of 2017 was the first priority. Vail Depot Thrift Store was established in December of 2016 and has been essential in funding administrative and operational costs of ReSources as well as providing job skills training to students in Vail School District’s “Transition from School to Work” (TSW) program. You may have purchased items in Vail Depot thrift store, located between the tracks in Vail on Colossal Cave Road, and not have realized what an important part you played in keeping the food bank operating!
As you’ll see from the snapshot of what ReSources accomplished this past year, a cadre of volunteers and the support of individual and corporate donors have been the foundation of success so far. In the year 2018,
- Vail families made 5,000+ trips to the Resources Vail Food Bank for monthly / weekly groceries;
- 4,655 packages were distributed through the Emergency Food Assistance Program;
- 72,474 pounds of food were donated from corporate donors such as Safeway, Walmart and Fry’s;
- 45,584 pounds of food were donated from individuals and businesses in our community;
- 4,255 weekend “backpacks” of supplemental food were delivered to Vail students who lack sufficient weekend nutrition at home;
- 2,080 senior meals were delivered to home bound residents in Vail
- The third annual Vail Championship Cup Golf Tournament fund raiser was held on November 3rd and was both great fun and a financial success for ReSources.
ReSources believes deeply in its motto of “neighbors helping neighbors”, but it also knows that there is much more work to do to improve lives in Vail—more people to serve and more services to develop. Will you be able to help ReSources grow? Happy New Year to all our clients, volunteers, donors and friends!Posted on: January 18, 2019, by : Linda Long